Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Nerd Boy Love

Have I ever discussed my preference for nerd boys?

Well, one of my favorites is a solid Biden supporter and he has finally put his reasons in writing and I am happy to share them...even if I relish the opportunity to debate him ad nauseum.

Courtesy of Yobachi:

Why Biden in’ 08


First thing, Joseph Biden's resume is impeccable. He has three decades of national government experience. And as a longtime member of the Senate Foreign Relations committee, and now chairman, has the necessary requisite foreign affairs credentials, not to mention other post including NATO. Now moving on from the tangible credential points that easily qualify him for the job, the reasons I like him and think he would be a damn good choice are as follows:

• He’s sensible and practical. Any time I’ve known him to speak on an issue he has a reasonable solution. For the last 3 years he’s attempted to address the Iraq war problem and advise the president on a way out. Of course unless you watch the Sunday morning talk show circuit like I do you probably never heard any of it He long pushed an idea that I thought was great: pulling Iraqi police and military trainees out of Iraq and taking them to U.S. bases in Germany where they could be properly trained to elevate the problem of trainees being targeted and the ranks being infiltrated; thereby allowing many more soldiers to be trained much faster, and giving us a reasonable chance of controlling the insurgent situation.

The time that that would have worked has largely now passed, but yet he still has a sound, practical plan: http://biden.senate.gov/newsroom/details.cfm?id=264509&&>

• He’s a very thoughtful guy. If you listen to him speak, you’d see he’s well reasoned. Yet, unlike John Kerry, he tends not to bloviate and speak like he’s giving a lecture to Harvard Poli-Sci graduate students.

• He’s a moderate and sensible voice. We have a lot of both left wing and right wing ideologues who are more concerned with forcing their narrow world view on the rest us rather than solving problems for everybody. His positions on the issues that I’ve heard tend to be more broad based in their effect.

Now all the above to is not to say that I think he would be the Messiah President. He is human and he is a politician and I’m sure as the campaign goes he’s going to take a couple of positions I don’t like. Actually, I already know of one I don’t agree with, but even on that one his position is pretty fair.

I will close this post with some words from fellow armature blogger Greg Richey:

I finally figured out why the press is practically ignoring Joe Biden, who declared his candidacy to be President [recently]… the commentators said that Biden talks too much. In other words, he doesn't speak in ready made sound bites for easy consumption. A preference for style over substance.

It's not that he's not smart. To the contrary, he may be too smart. It's not that he's not experienced. He's been in the Senate longer than Senators Clinton, Edwards, and Obama combined. It's not that he doesn't have good ideas or isn't a good leader. He's pointing the way out of Iraq, and will be leading Senate hearings in the next several weeks. He understands that we need a political solution to Iraq, not a military one. He's run for president before. He knows how to campaign, and he knows how to get things done. This is the kind of president we need in the White House.

When I look for who to support for president over the next two years, I'll be looking for two things. First, I'll be looking for a candidate with substance, who I can agree with on most of the issues. Second, I'll be looking for a candidate who can get things done. That means that experience is good, but so is the ability to win.

No comments: