Wednesday, January 24, 2007

State of the DisUnion

I watched the State of the Union address. I did not mean to but I thought it was the D.C. episode of American Idol.

Nancy looked equal parts vicious and couture and I loved it.

Cheney looked like he was gnawing a hole in his tongue to refrain from shouting, "I'll shoot all you commie healthcare loving bastards!"

And Dubya? Well, I have become quite apt at removing myself from the heinousness of his politics to see him as the gifted politician he is. He has jokes, he works the crowd, he is self-effacing in that alpha dog way that makes it clear he thinks he's more man than you. He kisses the ladies, daps up the pseudo-cool frat boys and signs autographs.

Should he have a legacy it will be that of a master cook-out host - even when the food sucks the folks have a great time.

But on policy he loses me.

If I am clear his goals for the final two years of a lame duck presidency with a Democratic congress he plans to:

* increase spending and troop levels for this war
* create a national guard like civilian support group that is the military but not?
* fund the No Child Left Behind Act
* balance the budget
* save Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, and

he plans to do all of this without raising taxes!!!!

Holy crap Batman. I had to stop to make sure I hadn't been hitting the bong. Alas, no such luck. I was sober, but I must question if he was.

The deal is he knows he has lost this battle. His own party is increasingly eyeing re-election and jumping ship.

Nancy and Co. smell blood in the water and Hillary has put roots on him.

I cannot help but think that this last stand is all about some super-secret post-presidential career plan. Like, we'll look up one day and he will be the Chief Consultant to Iraqi overseeing oil disbursement at 5 million an hour.

But whatever. He won't be the first.

The real issue is: are the American people tired yet of being sick and tired and gang raped by their elected officials?

Only time -- and a national election -- will tell.

1 comment:

StickyKeys said...

I did a post on that mess. I basically watched it like a show. Nancy Belosi kept trying to Bewitch him into a frog all that blinking she was doing, but she was gettin' it so I couldn't hate.

The balancing budget thing killed me. Like all he needed was a calculator and a #2 pencil. "Excuse me Dick, do you have a calculator that's doesn't run on foreign oil?"

Ridiculous.